As many services are pared back, demographic changes mean people need different types of support, and there is increasing recognition that communities may have to take the lead in solving their own problems.
The "Rebalancing the Power" research identifies five components of a successful working relationship, incorporating insights from partners across the council and the community – both in terms of what has worked well and what has worked less well:
- Recognise what each partner is trying to achieve
- Take active steps to build trust
- Maintain ongoing dialogue and honest communication
- Be flexible and adaptable
- Develop shared ownership and accountability