Community-led housing design process
The community-led housing design process is integral to how well a development functions, its running costs, sustainability, social inclusion, quality of life and durability.
Together, these can make the difference between an exemplar scheme or a project that needs redeveloping in 25-30 years.
Detailed plans will also allow the construction costs of development proposals to be estimated.
The impact of design
The design of buildings and places, streets and spaces can have a significant impact on human well-being and quality of life. Bear these in mind when working up your project.
- Design and standards cover a wide range of issues including: Pedestrian convenience and ease of movement
- Quality of the public realm, including streets and spaces
- Making sure car parking is well integrated and does not dominate
- Safety and natural surveillance
- Room size and internal standards flexibility home working room height and size
- Response to topography, landscape, historic contexts, etc.
Building for Life by the Design Council is a good guide to design considerations.Read more about how to deliver your community-led housing project