There are two types of grants available for community-led housing projects:
- Community Buildings Pre-Feasibility Grant
- Community Buildings Project Grant
Both of these grants apply to both community buildings and community-led housing projects.
Community Buildings Pre-Feasibility Grant
Amount of grant available: Between £1,000 and £10,000
This grant will help you assess the feasibility of a community-led housing project prior to submitting a Community Right to Build Order or a traditional planning application.
If you have identified a possible community-led housing project and are assessing the way forward, a pre-feasibility grant will give you broad-brush information to help you progress.
It may help you answer questions such as:
- How much will the potential project cost and is it viable? Are there alternative options? What sources of finance are available?
- What kind of information and evidence will be needed to take the project forward?
- Who is on your management group? Are there enough people? Do you need specialist skills?
- How will you manage the project? Will you need to employ staff, manage more money, increase volunteering?
- How will you approach the challenges of the project? What would help – training, visiting similar projects, mentoring, business planning support?
- What evidence do you have of community support for the project? If you do not have evidence, what needs to be done to demonstrate support?
- If you are considering a purchase or asset transfer of land or buildings, do you need, for example, a condition survey, valuation or repair estimates?
- Do you need to consider legal issues such as restrictions on use of the property, do these affect your plans, can they be challenged?
Early Stage Support
If your group is right at the very beginning of a project and not yet ready to apply for the pre-feasibility grant, you may be interested in the Community Led Housing Early Stage Support Programme from Locality. It provides one-to-one specialist support and up to £2,200 of grant to deal with start-up issues and help your project get off to a good start.
Find out more about Locality’s Early Stage Support Grants here.
Community Buildings Project Support Grant
Amount of grant available: Between £5,000 and £40,000
This grant will help you to pay for the help you need to progress your community-led housing project to the point of submitting a Community Right to Build Order or a traditional planning application.
If your community is supporting your project and you are proceeding, this grant will pay for expert help and other costs associated with preparing your detailed plans.
Community groups applying for this grant are expected to contribute at least 10% of the estimated costs of developing the community–led housing proposal to the point of submitting a Community Right to Build Order or a traditional planning application. Groups must meet certain criteria to be eligible to apply.
More detailed guidance on both grants are available in our guidance notes.
Please do not apply until you have read this information thoroughly.
Download: Community Buildings Pre-Feasibility Grants and Project Support Grant Guidance Notes (PDF, 160kb)
If you wish to apply for a Community Buildings Pre-Feasibility Grant or Project Support Grant, complete the Expression of Interest form.
By clicking on this link you will be taken to a separate form to complete your application.
Please note: Organisations are welcome to apply to more than one programme, but please be aware that any awards will be at the discretion of the Assessment Panels and we will not double fund similar activity in the same location.
Application forms in Word
The application forms are also available in a Word document to assist you with the input of your answers into the online form.
Please note: This is not an official application form – it is a template for your application preparation only. You must complete the online application form (via the link provided to your personal email). If you submit this document as an application it will be deemed invalid.